“I know your deeds, that you are neither cold not hot. I wish you were either one or the other!” Revelation 3:15
Even though the hit TV show, The Walking Dead, is filmed here in Atlanta, I am not a big fan. Zombies, they do nothing for me. They actually kind of gross me out. Half-dead. Half-alive. You know what? Zombies kind of remind me of lukewarm Christians. And there have been times when I have been one of them…the lukewarm Christian, that is.
Do you know what I mean by a lukewarm Christian? The following list (paraphrased from Francis Chan) shows some signs that you just might be living as a zombie.
- You attend church fairly regularly because it is expected of you and you believe that is what good Christians do.
- You give money to the church as long as it doesn’t impinge on your standard of living.
- You tend to choose what is popular over what is right. You desire to fit in both at church and outside of church.
- You don’t really want to be saved from your sin; you want only to be saved from the penalty of your sin.
- You are moved by stories of people who do radical things for Christ, yet you do not act. You call what Jesus expected of all His followers, “radical.”
- You rarely share your faith with others because you do not want to be rejected or make people feel uncomfortable.
- You gauge your morality or “goodness” by comparing yourself to the world’s standards.
- You say you love Jesus and He is a part of your life, but He isn’t allowed to control your life.
- You love God but not with all your heart, soul and strength.
- You love others but it is typically based on those who love you in return.
- You will serve God and others, but with limits on how much time, money and energy you will give.
- You think about life on earth more than eternity in Heaven.
- You do whatever is necessary to keep yourself from feeling too guilty.
- You probably are “less bad” than the average, but besides that you aren’t very different from the typical unbeliever.
Does any of that sound like you? If so, you are not alone.
But don’t stay there!!! Scripture tells us to wake up! No more living like a zombie. He came so that we may have life and have it to the FULL!
Want to get devotions in your inbox? Click here!